As the sun reaches its peak over the Georgia Theatre in Athens, GA, there’s nothing more satisfying than retreating to the cool oasis of your home, courtesy of an air conditioner operating at peak performance. But what if your AC suddenly fails you, transforming your refuge into a sweltering, stuffy space? If you’re left wondering, “Why did my AC stop working?” Dream Heating and Cooling can help! In this article, we discuss common reasons your air conditioner stopped working and how our team can provide AC repair in Watkinsville, GA and surrounding areas.
Understanding Air Conditioners
Your air conditioner’s function is all about balance. It absorbs heat from the indoor air and transfers it outside, leaving your interior cool and comfortable. When you run into a problem that you think may require AC repair in Bogart, GA, it helps to understand some of the basics and main components of how these systems operate.
- Compressor: The compressor is the heart of your AC system. It’s the part that circulates the refrigerant necessary for heat exchange through the coils of your indoor and outdoor unit. It’s often referred to as the “engine” that drives the air conditioning cycle.
- Condenser Coil: Located in the outdoor unit of your AC system, the condenser coil disperses heat from the refrigerant into the outdoor air. It moves through the condenser coil where heat is removed, allowing it to cool before condensing back into liquid form.
- Evaporator Coil: This coil is found in the indoor unit of your AC system. It functions opposite to the condenser coil. Cooled refrigerant travels through it and absorbs both heat and moisture from the air in your home. As the heat is absorbed, the refrigerant turns back into a gas and travels back to the compressor to restart the cycle.
- Air Filter: The air filter is a crucial part of your AC system. It removes dust, pollen, and other contaminants from the air before it has a chance to circulate through your home. Keeping the air filter clean not only ensures better air quality but also maintains the efficiency of your AC system.
- Thermostat: The thermostat is your main control for the AC system. It senses the temperature in your home and sends signals to your system to either start or stop cooling based on the temperature settings you’ve chosen.
- Blower Motor: This component is responsible for blowing the cooled air out of the AC and into your ductwork, which then disperses it throughout your home.
Understanding these key components can help you identify when your AC might not be operating as it should. At Dream Heating and Cooling, we believe in empowering our customers with the knowledge they need to understand their AC system better. That way, you can quickly recognize when it’s time to call for AC repair in Bishop, GA and surrounding areas.
Common Reasons Your AC Stopped Working
When you notice that your air conditioner is not reaching the desired temperature or just doesn’t seem to be performing at its peak, it may be caused by one of these common issues:
- Low Refrigerant Levels
- Clogged Air Filter
- Faulty Capacitor Or Contactor
- Thermostat Issues
- Blocked Condenser Unit
Low Refrigerant Levels
Your AC requires a specific amount of refrigerant to function efficiently. If there’s a leak in the refrigerant lines, your system may lose refrigerant and stop cooling your home effectively. This can lead to discomfort and can also place extra stress on the system as it struggles to reach the desired temperature. The solution will require having a professional HVAC technician, experienced in AC repair, locate and repair the leak before refilling the refrigerant.
Clogged Air Filter
A common culprit behind many AC problems is a dirty or clogged air filter. When the filter is clogged, it restricts airflow to the system due to limited flow area, making it work harder and potentially leading to more serious issues like frozen evaporator coils. Regularly replacing or cleaning your air filter can save you from unnecessary AC repair in Watkinsville, GA.
Faulty Capacitor Or Contactor
Capacitors and contactors play a crucial role in the operation of your AC. A faulty capacitor can lead to the compressor and fans not running, while a worn-out contactor can interrupt the electrical connection, leading to a breakdown. These components should be examined by an HVAC professional to see if AC repairs are required, so they can replace the parts for you.
A malfunctioning thermostat might be why your AC isn’t working the way it should. It could be incorrectly calibrated or simply in need of new batteries. If adjusting the settings or changing the batteries doesn’t fix your issue, it might be time to upgrade to a new thermostat.
Blocked Condenser Unit
The outdoor condenser unit plays a critical role in dissipating heat from your home. If it’s blocked by debris or vegetation, it can’t perform effectively, leading to an overworked AC and potential failure. Regularly clearing the area around your condenser unit can prevent this issue and save you from unnecessary AC repairs in Winterville, GA and surrounding areas.
Common AC Repairs & How Dream Heating and Cooling Can Help
It’s every homeowner’s worst nightmare in the peak of summer: your AC stops working. If you’re facing any of the issues mentioned above, professional AC repair in Athens, GA by Dream Heating and Cooling technicians can ensure your system gets back on track so you can get back to enjoying your summer. Whether it’s fixing refrigerant leaks, replacing a worn-out component, upgrading the thermostat, or conducting a thorough system clean-up, our team of skilled AC technicians is ready to restore your home’s comfort promptly and efficiently.
Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff – Trust The AC Repair Professionals
With the hot Georgia sun beating down, a malfunctioning AC can be a homeowner’s nemesis. Take a proactive approach toward maintaining your AC and don’t hesitate to call in the experts when needed. Let Dream Heating and Cooling take care of any needed AC repair in Bogart, GA, and surrounding areas, so you can enjoy a cool and comfortable home, no matter the weather outside. Call our team of experts today to schedule an appointment!
Dream Heating & Cooling
Your trusted heating & cooling experts team in Watkinsville, GA.